sdl2.ext - Helpful wrappers for the SDL2 API¶
sdl2.ext module provides a rich set of modules, classes, and
functions for creating games and other applications using PySDL2.
The aim of the sdl2.ext module is to wrap commonly-used parts of the SDL2 API
in a more friendly and Pythonic manner, reducing the need for developers to
understand the intricacies of working with
ctypes and making it simpler and
more fun to get PySDL2 programs up and running.
In addition, this module provides a number of template classes and utility functions for working with colors, input events, file assets, and more.
Due to its broad scope, the
sdl2.ext module is divided into a number of
submodules. However, everything in these submodules can be imported directly
sdl2.ext. For example,
from sdl2.ext import Window is exactly
the same as
from sdl2.ext.window import Window.
SDL2 module wrappers¶
Some parts of the
sdl2.ext module contain Pythonic wrappers for common
and/or unpleasant parts of the SDL2 API. At present, these modules include:
- sdl2.ext.common - Frequently Used SDL2 Functions
- sdl2.ext.window - Creating and Working with SDL2 Windows
- sdl2.ext.mouse - Configuring and Handling Mouse Input
- sdl2.ext.displays - Querying the Connected Displays
- sdl2.ext.renderer - Accelerated 2D Rendering
- sdl2.ext.msgbox - Displaying Alerts and Dialog Boxes
Utilities for working with SDL2 in Python¶
Other parts of this module implement functions and classes that make it easier
to work with SDL2 functions and data structures in Python (and vice versa).
These include functions for converting text to and from UTF8-encoded bytes,
reading and writing
ctypes arrays, and casting
objects to Numpy arrays:
In addition to simple Pythonic wrappers for SDL2 functions and structures, the
sdl2.ext module also offers a number of high-level classes and functions
that use SDL2 internally to provide APIs for font rendering, handling input
events, importing images, and more:
- sdl2.ext.input - Handling SDL2 Input Events
- sdl2.ext.surface - Creating and Manipulating Software Surfaces
- sdl2.ext.draw - Drawing Routines for Software Surfaces
- sdl2.ext.image - Importing and Exporting Image Files
- sdl2.ext.ttf - Rendering Text With TrueType Fonts
- sdl2.ext.bitmapfont - Basic Bitmap Font Rendering
Useful helpers for building apps¶
Beyond wrappers and utilities for working with SDL2’s API, the
sdl2.ext module also includes a number of submodules with various
functions and classes to help facilitate general game and app development with
PySDL2. These include classes for managing program resource files, working
with colors, and more:
PySDL2 contains several modules designed around the concept of component-oriented game programming. These modules define various types of “systems” for processing events and “factories” for creating different types of objects, among other things.
These modules are not regularly maintained, and their documentation may be inaccurate or out-of-date.